Friday, February 8, 2008

12 - Gums


Remember the old days? Ok. Not the REALLY old days. I just mean the old days when I was a kid. Grandma’s purse was incredible. Any time we’d go somewhere with Grandma, she'd manage to lug her Samsonite with her.

The beauty of having a Grandma with a purse of atomic proportions was that it had everything in it. Jumper Cables? Check. Pillow? Check. Case of Handi Wipes? Check. But the greatest reward to ever spring from Grandma’s purse, was gum.

And we could have whatever flavor we wanted, as long as it was peppermint or spearmint. Because, in the whole world, they only made peppermint or spearmint. But that changed when people started hearing about a new invention called The Choice.

Blog: I have a choice?

No. I’m talking to the humans. We are psychotic about choices. Everyone wants choices. But there are so many choices we’re frozen into indecision. Have fun at the grocery isle. Have you looked at your gumtacular options? Walnut Berry Splash. Super Margarita Mint Medley. Chocolate Banana Fuzzy Ice Blast. Mango Papaya Yogurt Passion. Where the hell is the peppermint or spearmint? I wanted fresh breath, not fruit salad.

Go ahead and keep your funky Bubble Tape and your Strawberry Vanilla Tart. Just leave me a small section with a sign so I can find it: Peppermint & Spearmint.


Blog: and Juicy Fruit, and Cinnamon, and Fruit Stripe, and Bubbalicious, and Bubble Yum, and Bazooka, and …

Somebody should fix that.

7 comments:

Arin said...

Mint makes me sick to my stomach. What do you say about that?

Anonymous said...

come to south africa. "the choice" hasn't made it here yet.

skipmozisek.com said...

Back in my day we chewed on flavored tire rubber...and we LIKED IT!
Great post

Terrace Crawford said...

Funny and interesting post.

Lori Casto said...

oh my gosh, this is so random but I just posted a blog about gum myself on February 17th. love it!

Andy said...

i want gum now.

Clare Morris said...

"Chocolate Banana Fuzzy Ice Blast. Mango Papaya Yogurt Passion. Where the hell is the peppermint or spearmint? I wanted fresh breath, not fruit salad. "

I loved it.

Please keep blogging!